When is the right time to move into a care home?
At some point in our lives, many of us will be faced with the decision of whether or not to move into a care home. For some, making that move may be as a result of illness or a fall, whereas others may start to need extra support more gradually. No matter the circumstance, moving to a care home can be an emotional time for both residents and their loved ones.
Making plans early and getting the information and advice you need will help make any changes much easier and less stressful.
How do I know if I need to move into a care home?
It may be worth considering moving into a care home or sheltered housing if:
- You are finding daily tasks an increasing struggle e.g. cooking, cleaning, washing, dressing etc.
- Family members are unable to provide the level of care you need
- Your home is becoming unmanageable
- There are concerns for your safety should you continue to live in your current home
- You’ve had a care needs assessment and a care home has been recommended.
Things to consider before moving into a care home
- What is it that’s making you feel that you need to make changes to the way you live? Is it a lack of social contact, or are you physically not able to do some of the tasks that you want and need to do?
- Do you want to stay in your own home and get some extra help? There are devices like handrails or stair lifts that might help, or services where people can visit you to help you with daily tasks, like your shopping or cleaning.
- Do you have a physical or mental need that can only be supported in a care home or do you simply want to downsize and not have to worry about your home, your security or your bills?
I don’t think a care home is the right place for me, what are my other options?
Moving into a care home is a big step, but it’s not the only one. For many people a care home isn’t the right place for them as their physical and mental health needs are less. Other housing options for older people are available, so make sure you research all the options before making your decision.